difficult. dark. unfair. LIFE simple. light. just.

This is this spectrum of life. My goal is to embrace my position within the spectrum and revel in life!



Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Life is Funny

Here is a message my brother sent me on my birthday: "Life is funny, ain't it? Think back a few Birthdays- I'm betting that on your 20th, you would have never believed that you'd be spending your 25 in Africa. It's amazing the paths we find ourselves on- just imagine where you might be on your 30th."

Life is funny indeed. Trying to imagine where I will be on my 30th birthday makes me laugh. One lesson I have learned so far in this life is that the future never looks like what I think it will look like. This does not mean I don't make goals or have ambitions. In fact, I always tell people that "I'm living the dream." People laugh at me when I say that. That's fine. The truth is, my life really does feel like a dream. When I was 20 of course I did not imagine spending my 25th in Africa. I had my own plans. Boy, did those plans get screwed up. I can't say that I hated reading when I was 20. It was just something I never even thought about. If I saw someone reading I just assumed they were bored or hadn't discovered technologies such as Xbox 360. Reading is now a favorite pastime of mine and I'm the librarian of a Sudanese library. I could entertain you with the original five year plan for my life, but I'd rather not. I tell my Maggie often that I couldn't be happier. And I mean it. I am excited for what lies ahead on the paths I will find myself on. 
Bill and I are headed back to Wadupe today after lunch. Men are coming tomorrow to work on the school foundation again! We hope to have the foundation poured and finished by the end of next week. Nearly 70 people came to the library on Monday and over 150 books were checked out. We might take a day next week and visit a nearby gorilla reserve. I'm living the dream. 
I am not exactly crazy about poetry, but lately I have been thinking about it. This past week Emily Dickinson's Because I could not stop for Death has been stuck in my head. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Because_I_could_not_stop_for_Deathhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Because_I_could_not_stop_for_Death


Much love and have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment