difficult. dark. unfair. LIFE simple. light. just.

This is this spectrum of life. My goal is to embrace my position within the spectrum and revel in life!



Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Experiment

One evening after dinner last week Bill and I discussed the Stanley Milgram Experiment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment and the Stanford Prison Experiment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment. I am not sure how this conversation started but I guess when you're friends with someone for twenty years the subject of unethical experiments is bound to come up sometime. Anyways, today is Thanksgiving Day. No doubt I have many things on hand here right now to be thankful for. But, being so far away from most of the people and things I'm thankful for I can't help but wonder if this morning I am on the wrong end of some unethical experiment. In 2009 when I returned home from Sudan one of the most common phrases I heard from people was, "Really makes you thankful for what you've got, doesn't it?" Boy, does it make me thankful. If you have never been away from your loved ones on the one day of the year that is designated to be with them than consider yourself lucky.
Frankly, this trip has been tough. Supposedly, it's the tough times that make us stronger. I don't feel strong today. I feel tired and weak. Don't pity me. I volunteered for this "experiment" and now I'm feeling the effects.
I know there is some knowledge to be discovered at the end of every experiment and I can't wait to see what I learn. 
I don't want to be a thanksgiving buzz kill, just want to tell the ones I love that I'm with them today.
Pray for Bill and I that we will remain focused these last two weeks and continue to seek God and serve with joy.
We are planning to come back to Yei next Wednesday or Saturday before heading for Uganda. But, keep in mind, "The best laid plans of mice and men/Go often askew" (corny, but had to keep the poetry streak going) Love you all and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment